The Perfect CV
Creating the perfect CV
Your CV is essential in helping you get that 1st interview. It will be your 1st and perhaps only chance to create a good impression. CVs that are poorly written with lots of spelling mistakes will probably mean you wont get that interview no matter how qualified to do the job you are..
Essential Tips for a good CV
- How your CV is presented is important, it should look neat and professional.
- Avoid using fancy typestyles, highlighted boxes or coloured paper, these may get your CV noticed but they wont create the right impression.
- Keep it short and to the point.
- Your past achievements should illustrate what you have to offer.
- If the employer asks for particular experience make sure you draw attention to this in your CV.
- Double check your spelling and grammar, dont rely on your computers spell checker.
- Dont over crowd the page with text, white space, wide margins and double spacing will make it easier to read.
- Use bullet points instead of paragraphs
- Dont over do the bold type, underlining and italicising.
- Only use white coloured paper
- Keep it short, two pages should be enough never more than three. Applicants often include too much information; it is not necessary to include too much detail over marital status, religion or to include lists of hobbies, unless they have some relevance to the job you are applying for.
- Dont bend the truth Whilst CVs should reflect the positive aspects of your qualification and experience, dont exaggerate or bend the truth in the belief it will help. Exaggerations will eventually found be found out and serious misrepresentations could lead to you being dismissed or even sued.
- Make sure the letter sent with you CV is of the same standard. The letter should include:
- Your name, address, telephone number/s, fax number and e-mail address if you have one.
- The date
- The name and address of the person and the company you are sending it to
- The job you are applying for
- Where you saw it advertised.
More about creating the perfect C.V.
The Disabled Workers Co-operative Ltd. Reg No. 4418227
Charity Reg No.1112402
[HOME] [INFORMATION] [SEARCH] [REGISTER] [CONTACT] [DISCUSS] [DIRECTORY] [FEEDBACK]
© Disabled Workers Co-operative 2002 - 2013