Disabled Workers Forum
Discussion Forum
Employment - FAQ
Disabled Workers Co-operative
Home About Us Disabled Workers Database Employment eJobs Portal Discussion Forum Directory Support Us Contact
Welcome to the Disabled Workers Co-operative Community

This area is designed as a forum where you can discuss your experiences of disability and employment, ask questions, and pass on advice and experience to others.

To post or reply to a topic you need to register on the Forum 1st. Forum Register
If you are already registered, enter your username and password into the boxes below and click the login button.


Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum
Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum
Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Questions about disability and employment
 How do I register as a disabled person?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Forum Admin

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  10:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should contact your local Social Services, who will also help you fill in the registration form if necessary. You should be able to find their contact details from your local council website.

It is not necessary to register to get local council services but it may help in getting concessions such as reduced fares for public transport.

Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2004 :  14:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding registering as a disabled person. Is the register for social or employment reasons. please could you explain the benifits of being on such a register. I recall a register for 'green card' workers, but the term 'disabled register' doesn't mean or entitle you to anything, to the best of my knowledge. please could you enlighten me... Thanks simon
Go to Top of Page


39 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2004 :  16:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon

You are quite correct that being 'registered' disabled does not bring any direct benefits, and many disabled people are not ‘registered’ as disabled.

However, depending on your circumstances their could be benefits to being registered with your local social services as being disabled. It could help for example with a claim for DLA (Disabled Living Allowance) this is a non-taxable benefit that if rewarded can continued to be claimed regardless of employment circumstances, even if these change. It may also help a potential employer obtain grants to adapt his working place and equipment to enable you to work there. On a more trivial level it may, depending on your local council, entitle you to free or discounted travel in your area, or things like discounted access to public amenities or practical help like insulation grants. Possibly in many other small ways as well, I don’t have a list of all the grants and discounts offered to disabled people, all of which help a little in making life for disabled people a little easier.


Edited by - Neil on 23/11/2004 16:24:29
Go to Top of Page

Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2005 :  09:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Admin

You should contact your local Social Services, who will be able to help you.

I recently moved from Cumbria to Fife where I had voluntarily added my name to the 'Disabled Register'. Attempts to do the same in Fife have proved exhausting. I am told by Social Services at Fife Regional Council there is no longer a requirement for them to keep such a Register. Information given on the Government website does not uphold this. Can anyone confirm what the exact situation is regarding Council's responsibility regarding maintaining a 'Disabled Register', before I approach my MP?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum © 2003-2012 Disabled Workers Co-operative Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Follow Disabled Workers on Facebook

Help Disabled Workers Co-operative. Just by shopping online. Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Disabled Workers Co-operative. Help Disabled Workers Co-operative. Just by shopping online. Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Disabled Workers Co-operative - all without charging you a penny more. Get started raising money for Disabled Workers Co-operative today.

Sponsor this Page

The Disabled Workers Co-operative Ltd. Reg No. 4418227

Charity Reg No.1112402

Make a sonation

[Home] - [Contact] - [Cookie Policy] - [ Privacy Policy] - [ Terms and Conditions ]

© Disabled Workers Co-operative founded 2002