Disabled Workers Forum
Discussion Forum
Employment - FAQ
Disabled Workers Co-operative
Home About Us Disabled Workers Database Employment eJobs Portal Discussion Forum Directory Support Us Contact
Welcome to the Disabled Workers Co-operative Community

This area is designed as a forum where you can discuss your experiences of disability and employment, ask questions, and pass on advice and experience to others.

To post or reply to a topic you need to register on the Forum 1st. Forum Register
If you are already registered, enter your username and password into the boxes below and click the login button.

FORUM DISCLAIMER

Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum
Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum
Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Disabled Workers Co-operative
 Forum
 Redundancy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  13:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I have just been given the news that I am to be made redundant. I have worked with the company for 13 years and they have addapted my role as my disability progressed. I have no idea what to do next. I am 47 and have always worked in the maintenance industry becoming a manager 10 years ago. I have ten years left to run on my mortgage, and I realy dont want to lose my home after grafting for 20 years to meet repayments. Any ideas which way I should turn? I have never had to look for work since becoming disabled and I have no idea where to start

stairlift

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  08:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You didn't say what type of maintenance you have been involved but throughout recessions and industrial change there has always been a need for maintenance, even though it is sometimes viewed as a "necessary evil". Always think positive.

The usual route after formal redundancy is to register unemployed so you get national insurance credits. They are important for a pension later on.

If you get severance pay seriously consider paying off as much of your mortgage as you can. You will have to declare any money you receive and Social Security will want to know what you did with it. If you can pay a lump off the mortgage debt it will reduce the chance of repossession, reduce the interest payments, show you as responsible. If you keep money it may reduce state benefits.

You will need a CV. Make it stand out from the others. There is plenty of advice about CV writing on the internet, in agencies, libraries, etc.

If you have management experience it can help. There is a big maintenance industry out there and suppliers need people to manage the work flow. I don't know the nature of your disability and I wouldn't know you were disabled if you hadn't stated it. That means nobody on the other end of an e-mail system would know either, and that can help if you use computers in a job. Think positive.

As examples of maintenance opportunities, facilities management firms hire people directly and through agencies such as Hays Montrose. Some contract managers such as Johnson Controls employ people directly and indirectly to manage help desks, contracts, sub contractors, etc. You may have skills and knowledge they desire. In most cases most people do best by applying what they know rather than trying to change direction.

The Employment Service is a very resourceful organisation so don't dismiss it as a place to go for help. The Service is free and you helped to pay for its existence when you were working. Use it. You may be able to get on a seminar or course to help you find a position. Being disabled may help you to jump the queue.

Plenty of employment agencies exist. Competition for jobs is fierce and many employers are struggling to survive. As you know, and as others will tell you, a job applicant needs to impress an employer with how they can help to improve income, provide better customer service, or whatever. You need to stand out above the others, exude interest in the job and ooze confidence.

Everyone needs a unique selling point. What is yours?

You could ask your present employer what they think your strengths are. Ask if they have an outplacement programme or can give any assistance to you in finding a post. Get every bit of assistance you can from them before you leave.

Try to establish the true reason your post is being made redundant. That may help later.

Perhaps you have considered self-employment. Is there something you can do such as providing a service from home? Have you experience as a technical author? Would you be content to answer telephone calls all day if it brought in enough money? You know yourself better than anyone else, so go for what YOU really want.

What would you prefer to do? Is social contact important such that you would like to go out to work each day, or are you content to be alone during the day?

As a suggestion, you could post a mini CV on this forum. Omit anything personal such as full name, address, DOB, etc. Simply outline to readers what you have done and what you can do: always what you can do never what you can't. Maybe that will inspire some helpful feedback.

Tell everyone you know you are looking for a job. You told us, tell others. Word of mouth does work and opportunities sometimes come from places people would never think of. Some people have created their their own jobs with employers.

Other suggestions are never work free on a placement, work trial, for a charity, or as a volunteer. Many have done such things in the vain hope of getting a job but been exploited and kicked in the teeth. If you work for someone who is making money take your wage.

Other suggestions:

Of you get a job try to pay more off your mortgage. Even an additional pound a month helps. Remember the Tesco motto and think about the billions they make in profit each year.

Don't pay for buildings insurance through the mortgage provider because if you miss a premium they will charge it to your mortgage and you will be paying interest for the insurance "loan" as well.

Separate home contents insurance from buildings insurance and stagger them so they become payable due in different months. Shop around for quotes.

If later you get a job which pays enough consider mortgage protection insurance.

See how frugal you can be. Most of us can reduce the amount of energy we consume if we think about it and exercise self discipline. That is also good for job applications and self-employment: If you can manage on a low budget (low overhead) you will beat the competition and stay viable.

Keep your mind active, see how many ways you can approach the problem, and always think positive.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum © 2003-2012 Disabled Workers Co-operative Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
FORUM DISCLAIMER

Help Disabled Workers Co-operative. Just by shopping online. Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Disabled Workers Co-operative. Help Disabled Workers Co-operative. Just by shopping online. Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Disabled Workers Co-operative - all without charging you a penny more. Get started raising money for Disabled Workers Co-operative today.

Sponsor this Page

The Disabled Workers Co-operative Ltd. Reg No. 4418227

Charity Reg No.1112402

Make a sonation

[Home] [Information ] [Disabled Workers Database] [eJobs Portal] [Register] [Contact] [Discuss] [Directory] [Cookie Policy] [ Terms and Conditions ]

© Disabled Workers Co-operative founded 2002