Disabled Workers Forum
Discussion Forum
Employment - FAQ
Disabled Workers Co-operative
Home About Us Disabled Workers Database Employment eJobs Portal Discussion Forum Directory Support Us Contact
Welcome to the Disabled Workers Co-operative Community

This area is designed as a forum where you can discuss your experiences of disability and employment, ask questions, and pass on advice and experience to others.

To post or reply to a topic you need to register on the Forum 1st. Forum Register
If you are already registered, enter your username and password into the boxes below and click the login button.

FORUM DISCLAIMER

Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum
Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum
Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Disabled Workers Co-operative
 Forum
 Campaign
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wetmac1

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  12:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am currently running a campaign to try and create awareness amongst employers of the section of disabled society that cannot access the work place but could work from home. This campaign has had a small measure of success within the Scottish Government but unfortunately, the remit for disabled issues is with Westminster and so far UK Government and in particular the DWP do not want to know. I am not wanting to interfere with the ongoing recruitment of disabkled workers in the worrk place but rather just wish for employers to recognise that home based employment is a valid option for those who cannot go out to work but couold provide a service. I am simply after being able to compete fairly in the job market. I started the campaign because I could not get legitimate home work and I know that the issue of scams has been explored and closed down. This is primarily the reason why I decided, with the help of my local MSP, to petition the Scottish Government in the first instance and take it from there through official channels. Unfortunately, because of the attitude shown to me by Westminster I wish to now thro the campaign open to a wider audience. I ultimately wish to get up a petition to show those in Westminster that it is an issue of some merit within the disabled community. Before I do this, however, I recognise that it is an emotive subject and that there are a host of side issues. What I would like is for members to email me with any questions or concers about what I am doing so that I can both allay any fears and at the same time get a feeling for what needs to be resolved at higher level before anything concrete can be achieved. Please bear in mind that this is not a scam. Should you wish to verify my campaign you can see the results so far by visiting the Scottish Parliament Petitions Committee website and looking for PE 1069. Bear in mind though that this is not the be all and end all. As part of current transport policy the Scottish Parliament has included a section on home working. Again, this can be viewd on the Scottish Government website under transport. Thank you.

trebor
Expert Member

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  06:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again you have said nothing what is this work from home that we will all be falling over with. you have a lot to say but actually say nothing.
Go to Top of Page

wetmac1

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  09:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Treveor, I am not talking specifics. I am talking about a campaign to try and get employers to recognise that, for some disabled workers working from home is the only option as they cannot or are not allowed to work in the dedicated work place. I have indicated that there are a lot of associated side issues with this topic and it is this I am after getting feedback on. If you go to the website: www.yourable.com and visit the same topic posted in their forum there is a very good reply from a subscriber indicating the sort of thing I am seeking. Specifics cannot be gone into because there are so many jobs that could be done from the home if only the disabled worker was given the chance. Therefore, I refute your criticism that I said nothing as I was outlining the campaign I was running. Visit the Scottish Petitions Committtee website and look at Petion PE1069. You will see exactly what has been done so far in Scotland. In order to escalate the subject to Westminster, I need to know that I have the support of the disabled community across the UK. I cannot do that if all I get are questions at the end of the day. Yet it is these that I am seeking so that I can discuss the issues with my local MSP to see if something can be initiated in Scotland because if this can be achieved, Westminster will not be slow to jump onto the bandwagon. Please have a good think about any problems or issues that you could foresee with this subject and write them down for me so that I have a better understanding of your concerns etc.
Go to Top of Page

wetmac1

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  09:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re my last, apologies for getting your name wrong Trebor.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  19:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Disabled Workers Co-operative recognise that home-working is a valid option for many disabled people and was one of the reasons that we established the Disabled Workers Database (http://www.disabledworkers.org.uk/search ).

This is an on-line database of the skills, services and products disabled entrepreneur's have to offer. Registration is FREE and the Database is FREE for anyone to use.

It was with regret that the section on home-working opportunities was closed on this Forum as some felt that many of 'opportunities' were not genuine and we had no way to verify this. However, we would welcome and support any campaign that encouraged the employment of disabled people whether it be regular employment or genuine home-working by responsible employers.

Admin
Go to Top of Page

trebor
Expert Member

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  21:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Name one single agency government or company that allows disabled people to work from home.

Do not name the ones which offer us commission only, do not tell us about stuffing Christmas cracker or collecting for Avon or running a agency for another agency.

I cannot even get a job in a ***** shop down here because we have 35% youth unemployment 15% disability and according to this crazy government we have 3% unemployment, within the past year 9700 people have lost his or her jobs yet Labour told me that we have well over 6,000 jobs within the area where are they, my job center this week stated they had six jobs listed , I've been told last July not to attend any further job related interviews under the Pathways to work, the reason they have no work, My council which is the biggest employer of the disabled have laid off , the NHS has got rid of many of the disabled working for them the DWP office closed and now the government has said that the inland revenue is closing, Morrison's does not employ anyone with a disability unless it one of those unseen disabled, Tesco has one and Asda has three people and told me they run a quota which as we know is illegal, illegal or not they do.

So tell me what jobs do you think we in Wales would have if it;s not Christmas crackers or selling on commission.

as for this Forum it's yours you can put up what ever you like, if you know of real Jobs for the disabled then please let me know.
Go to Top of Page

wetmac1

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  11:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Admin, I welcome your support and I assure you that I will keep lobbying in order to attempt to get something done. I will also be attempting to take the issue to the media; this is what I am currently working on.

To Trebor; I am sorry that you have such problems. We too have our own like issues in Scotland where the picture is pretty much the same. Fortunately, our Parliament is being a little more proactive and is attempting to stimulate jobs and growth. Whether the strategy they are employing will work is anyone's guess in the current climate, but you have to applaud them for effort.

My next task is to try and get Westminster MPs to back the issue and to discuss the sifde issues that are involved, (and there are quite a few).

I sympathise wih you as my dealings with the DWP have found that this department can be one of the most obstructive when it comes to getting anything done. The Ministers in charge of the various departments are also the same. Unfortunately, this is the organisation that has the remit and the responsibility for any action so it is vital to try and get it to see things from our perspective instead of what I can only describe as a somewhat jaundiced view. I started this campaign because there are well over half a million people who, like me, are barred from working in the dedicated work place. For us to be cast adrift is, in my opinion, blatant discrimination and goes against the tenets of the DDA 1995. What I would ask of you now is, instead of having a go, use your anger to put down properly everything you have come up against so that I can use it as ammunition in the future. I would be extremely grateful if you would do this as it would help me tremendously.

If there is anyone else out there who has a point to make, even if it is critical of what I am doing, I would like to know. I cannot think of everything and I need your input. I wouold particularly welcome input from any employer who reads this as I would also like to know the issue from a different perspective, again something which will assist me in my campaign.
Go to Top of Page

londheart
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  13:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I welcome the topic but share the pessimism - it is a bit like advocating throwing disabled workers to the sharks, in whose jaws reside well-known vacancies. If I felt it was doable & kosher I think I would be doing it now, instead of spending my time discussing spelling reform online and getting the odd quid for filling in Harris Polls.

Edited by - londheart on 01/02/2009 14:00:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum © 2003-2012 Disabled Workers Co-operative Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
FORUM DISCLAIMER
Follow Disabled Workers on Facebook

Help Disabled Workers Co-operative. Just by shopping online. Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Disabled Workers Co-operative. Help Disabled Workers Co-operative. Just by shopping online. Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Disabled Workers Co-operative - all without charging you a penny more. Get started raising money for Disabled Workers Co-operative today.

Sponsor this Page

The Disabled Workers Co-operative Ltd. Reg No. 4418227

Charity Reg No.1112402

Make a sonation

[Home] - [Contact] - [Cookie Policy] - [ Privacy Policy] - [ Terms and Conditions ]

© Disabled Workers Co-operative founded 2002