Disabled Workers Forum
Discussion Forum
Employment - FAQ
Disabled Workers Co-operative
Home About Us Disabled Workers Database Employment eJobs Portal Discussion Forum Directory Support Us Contact
Welcome to the Disabled Workers Co-operative Community

This area is designed as a forum where you can discuss your experiences of disability and employment, ask questions, and pass on advice and experience to others.

To post or reply to a topic you need to register on the Forum 1st. Forum Register
If you are already registered, enter your username and password into the boxes below and click the login button.

FORUM DISCLAIMER

Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum
Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum
Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 FAQ
 Questions about Disabled Workers Co-op
 Do I need to 'Registed' Disabled?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kridders
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  23:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took myself off the disabled register in my 20's (1977 aprox) when my epileptic fits stopped. However under the DDA 1995 I am sitll considered as disabled as my disability is affecting my work.

Is it necessary for me to re-register

Thanks

Admin
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2005 :  14:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kridders

I take it you were asking about registering on the Disabled Workers Database.

No you don’t need to be ‘registered’ disabled.

All that we ask is that you could, if asked, produce some kind of ‘independent’ evidence of disability.

This evidence could include things like; being in receipt of DLA; a doctors letter; social services report; Blue divers badge; consultants report or any other ‘independent’ form of evidence.

Notice we are not asking you to produce this evidence, only to declare that you could produce it if asked.

Admin
Go to Top of Page

trebor
Expert Member

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  10:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
during those years you had to register with your council you were disabled, this is now not required since the law states we are to be treated the same as non disabled, but some council will still do this and keep your name on a data base in case you require help. but you need not register anymore
Go to Top of Page

silver760
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2007 :  19:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This bring up an interesting question,
These days,what is and is not considered a disability?I fall under the "Disabled" catagory due to suffering from chronic pancreatits,ulna nerve neuropthy and trigeminal nerve neuralgia (Plus a few other related problems).This according to the consultants/gp etc I see makes me "Disabled",though I do not consider myself to be disabled.
Stewart
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2007 :  10:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) defines a disabled person as someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

This both very broad sweeping and vague, What is substantial? How long is long-term? What are normal day-to-day activities?

• According to William Hauge the Minister responsible for the Act substantial means 'neither minor nor trivial'. Of course what is minor or trivial is still open to interpretation.
  • long term means that the effect of the impairment has lasted or is likely to last for at least 12 months (However recurring or fluctuating conditions are included)
  • normal day-to-day activities include everyday things like eating, washing, walking and going shopping, it doesn't necessarily cover an individual person to do a particular job, for example I couldn't consider myself to be disabled because of my inability to be a professional heavy-weight lifter.
  • Normal day-to-day activities must affect one of the 'capacities' listed in the Act which include mobility, manual dexterity, speech, hearing, seeing and memory.

It is estimated that 1 in 6 could be considered disabled under the Act and by 2027 this could br as high as 1 in 3.

Admin

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum © 2003-2012 Disabled Workers Co-operative Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
FORUM DISCLAIMER

Help Disabled Workers Co-operative. Just by shopping online. Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Disabled Workers Co-operative. Help Disabled Workers Co-operative. Just by shopping online. Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Disabled Workers Co-operative - all without charging you a penny more. Get started raising money for Disabled Workers Co-operative today.

Sponsor this Page

The Disabled Workers Co-operative Ltd. Reg No. 4418227

Charity Reg No.1112402

Make a sonation

[Home] [Information ] [Disabled Workers Database] [eJobs Portal] [Register] [Contact] [Discuss] [Directory] [Cookie Policy] [ Terms and Conditions ]

© Disabled Workers Co-operative founded 2002