Disabled Workers Forum
Discussion Forum
Employment - FAQ
Disabled Workers Co-operative
Home About Us Disabled Workers Database Employment eJobs Portal Discussion Forum Directory Support Us Contact
Welcome to the Disabled Workers Co-operative Community

This area is designed as a forum where you can discuss your experiences of disability and employment, ask questions, and pass on advice and experience to others.

To post or reply to a topic you need to register on the Forum 1st. Forum Register
If you are already registered, enter your username and password into the boxes below and click the login button.

FORUM DISCLAIMER

Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum
Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum
Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Disabled Workers Co-operative
 Forum
 Being made redundant . Advice please.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kenny P Posted - 17/01/2009 : 23:45:00
Hello people,how are we? Im being made redundant from a job ive done since leaving school. Its warehouse work but the company knows about my primary lymphoedema in both legs feet and ankles. I have been struggling with the job just lately and by the end of my shift been in agony. This is not anything to do with my redundancy as it affects many people on the contract i was working on. It worked on a matrix scheme on skills etc. I didnt get a mark for overtime as i cant do it due to my disability but everyone got marked on the same table. They may offer me a new contract before my notice period is over but this will be working 11 hours shifts and with my lymphoedema that would be to much for me and i would be off sick within no time. I am struggling with 8 hour shifts at the moment and was thinking of asking for a reduction in hours before this happened. If they offer me a new contract and i say no that would be to much for me because of my disability by law can they continue to make me redundant or have i any rights under the dda? Im hoping to train for a complete new direction in job once/if my current job as gone. Ive been there 12 and half years and im worried about finding another job and declaring my lymphoedema to new employers etc. Any advice would be gratefully received as it is a worrying time for me. All the best people. Ken
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
trebor Posted - 23/12/2011 : 00:01:34
Not in the UK....
yingxuy Posted - 15/11/2011 : 03:39:14
Your employer has a responsibility to help you, they must look for ways to help you do your job or you find another job. Overtime and they can not let you work overtime, xxxxxxxxx because that would be placed in your stress, even if your contract says so.

[link removed by Admin]
Andy Posted - 27/09/2011 : 13:16:44
Hi
I have just been given the news that I am to be made redundant. I have worked with the company for 13 years and they have addapted my role as my disability progressed. I have no idea what to do next. I am 47 and have always worked in the maintenance industry becoming a manager 10 years ago. I have ten years left to run on my mortgage, and I realy dont want to lose my home after grafting for 20 years to meet repayments. Any ideas which way I should turn?
vardisdriving Posted - 23/09/2009 : 17:00:27
From my perspective, the employers need educating. By admitting your disability, some potential employers may be put off. However, if they were made aware of the benefits they can enjoy by employing a disabled person, it could potentially help you!
trebor Posted - 09/02/2009 : 10:32:05
PCA is a personal capability assessment this is done when you go for benefits. it's a points system 0 to 15 the 15 being your severely disabled.

Look it does not matter if you have told your employer, as you said put your cards on the table but make sure when you do you have a witness with you.

Your employer has a duty to help you they must look at ways of helping you do your job or find you another job. Overtime well they cannot make you do overtime because that would be seen as placing pressure on you, even if your contract says so.

What you need to do is explain to the company you need help and advice because your disabled, they must put in place a system of helping you, they can claim money from the government for doing this, and can even get help paying your wages now.

So it's not all bad news for your employer.

If your not in a Union then join one now, because if it goes wrong they can take this to a tribunal, also see the DEA at the job center they can talk to your employer for you, telling them the law.
Kenny P Posted - 07/02/2009 : 17:29:08
Thanks for the reply Trebor. Whats a PCA? Thing is with my condtion it can cause problems with certain jobs like i cant stand in one spot or cant due loads of overtime. If i dont tell them from the start and put all my cards on the table so to speak and they say why cant you do that or why aint you stopping overtime and i say because i have primary lymphoedema in both legs feet and ankles they will say you didnt tell us about this wouldnt i be at risk of displinary action due to not being honest about it.
trebor Posted - 07/02/2009 : 14:27:18
The fact is less disabled people are employed no matter what they say, I have found you tick the box you might well be interviewed then again you might not.

The laws says you do not have to tell anyone about your disability.

The advice if your suffering something that might endanger your life or somebodies else then you should say so, if not then why bother.

If your disabled you should have had a PCA this will tell them if your disabled.

But do not forget the whole regulations are changing or have changed, the new ESA. and the new medicals
Kenny P Posted - 06/02/2009 : 17:34:17
Im just filling a application form out and on it it says As a positive about disabled symbol user we guarantee to interview all applicants who meet the minimum criteria . Please tick if your disabled. But it doesnt ask what the disability is. Should i tick the box? Cheers.Do i need to be assesed by (Department of Work and Pensions?) doctor actually assessed you as 'disabled' and given you a diagnosis as to a percentile of disability? Help lol.
Admin Posted - 29/01/2009 : 12:57:42
Please keep to the original thread

We seem to be developing two essentially identical topics here. Posts on this topic should be related to Kenny's original post, replies to Mojo's request for stories about being made redundant should be kept to BBC Research - Have you just been made redundant?.

According to Forum rules replies that are off topic will be deleted

Admin
mojo Posted - 28/01/2009 : 13:37:17
trebor - I'm sorry you feel you were treated badly by some of my colleagues. I'm also sorry that you also feel you can't trust me because of what other people did.

I am genuinely interested in hearing from anyone who wants to tell me their story.

Don't tar all journalists with the same brush please!

Thanks

Jo
trebor Posted - 28/01/2009 : 08:13:20
I have done three interviews on radio and TV for the BBC on each you have worked hard to make me look like a scrounger, one show I was accused of being a bit of a fraud, it was only when I showed the camera my legs that you lot backed off and changed tack.

On another show you tried to find me a job, saying they ( the BBC) will show how easy it is. After hours the only job you found me was 50 miles away, paid the min wage, when I went to the place they said they could not employ anyone with a disability as it would cost to much to alter the counters. Then you lot found me a job in an Asian shop, sadly they stated they only paid cash in hand and could not afford to pay the full wage. what did the BBC say, well it's a job even though it's totally illegal. you lot proudly stated that a job is a job. so trust you lot your joking.

Asda have just said they will employ 7.000 new jobs and that 3000 will be targeted for the long term unemployed, I wonder if this is our beloved government again a good TV add for Labour, because the fact is the long term unemployed with Labour is anyone over six months, so in reality the jobs should in fact go to the best people for the job, I wonder how many Labour planning application will go through for this one.
mojo Posted - 27/01/2009 : 16:25:31
Hi there

I'm from the BBC and I'm researching a story about how the 'economic downturn' is affecting people with disabilities. Kenny - I notice that you have just been made redundant. Was this because of the general economic situation? I see you're worried about getting another job - do you think that the present situation will make it more difficult for you to find another job?

I'd be REALLY interested to hear back from Kenny and anyone else who might have an opinion on this.

Thanks again!

Joanne Babbage
trebor Posted - 24/01/2009 : 10:51:04
Sadly we all know the criteria but many employers especially now feel that employing a disabled person will cost them money.

Before the DDA came into being, I worked all the time, now I cannot even get an interview.
Neil Posted - 20/01/2009 : 15:08:58
This is THE question, not to disclose and least get an interview, or disclose and accept that you proberly wont get an interview.

The NT should take your application seriously whether you are disabled or not. There should only be two criteria for selecting for interview and that is experience and ability to do the job. If your disability affects this then you should disclose, if not then what relevance is it?

Neil
Kenny P Posted - 19/01/2009 : 22:41:00
Ive just completed a application form to work for the National Trust. There was a box to tick if i had a disability and ive been honest and told them. Do you guys always tell them?

Disabled Workers Co-operative Forum © 2003-2012 Disabled Workers Co-operative Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
FORUM DISCLAIMER
Follow Disabled Workers on Facebook

Help Disabled Workers Co-operative. Just by shopping online. Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Disabled Workers Co-operative. Help Disabled Workers Co-operative. Just by shopping online. Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Disabled Workers Co-operative - all without charging you a penny more. Get started raising money for Disabled Workers Co-operative today.

Sponsor this Page

The Disabled Workers Co-operative Ltd. Reg No. 4418227

Charity Reg No.1112402

Make a sonation

[Home] - [Contact] - [Cookie Policy] - [ Privacy Policy] - [ Terms and Conditions ]

© Disabled Workers Co-operative founded 2002